HAVE YOU BEEN VISITNG MY BLOG? LEAVE A COMMENT OR E-MAIL ME AT TJN258@gmail.com!!! :)

I have been selected for a chance of a lifetime this summer and to document my time in China I have started this blog. I am going to be living in Beijing, China for two months. During these two months I will be taking a class a month before the Olympics then I will be assisting with reporting during the 2008 games.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

August 5th in China, Introducing Multi-tasking!

The next day was just another day of work. I was tired and work ended up being a whole lot of nothing as usual. haha One thing did get on my nerves however, apparently one of the managers had a different idea of teamwork than I did. I had to sit with the other help desk volunteers and the manager told me that she thought I could do a better idea of fitting in with the team. I was upset at this because what they thought was me not doing teamwork was me actually getting tasks done. One thing I have noticed is the definition of team work and how people here view working. We don't all get tasks delegated out and then each complete one to help get everything done faster, no the managers thought because I would do things on my own that I wasn't working as a team. You see working as a team means everyone works on one thing apparently. So if there was a sign needing made on a computer that obviously could only be worked on by one person, the managers thought everyone should help. So many times you would see like 8 people standing around doing nothing while someone did a task to work as a "team". I had to explain to my manager, Christy, why I though it was better for everyone to work on different things. I had to explain the idea of multi-tasking and teamwork like it is in the USA. I was not going to let them think I wasn't working, or doing work the right way. After our discussion I was able to convince them that it was in fact better for everyone to put their time to use and that it was possible to do several tasks at once. This was the most productive day we ever had!!

After a long day of training, and the training meals I was ready to go home. Did I mention this whole time that the meals we have been eating are chinese airline meals? Yeah they are absolutely awful.

Jashin and I left early, around 5 because we were done with work and did not want to sit and wait for the shuttle bus that came at 7 pm. Instead we were able to get ourselves back to the University on our own using public buses and the subway. We only messed up once and missed one subway stop. While on the subway we ran into Matt H. and Justin, 2 other MU guys here. They had been shopping at yashow market so we talked with them as we headed back to the hotel.
Once we got back to the hotel, me and Blair and Quinn walked toward the grocery store and KFC. Blair and Quinn went to the store but I left them as we got near KFC and I went in and bought myself some dinner.
I watched a couple movies then and relaxed because the next day was my day off. Thank goodness!!

No comments: