HAVE YOU BEEN VISITNG MY BLOG? LEAVE A COMMENT OR E-MAIL ME AT TJN258@gmail.com!!! :)

I have been selected for a chance of a lifetime this summer and to document my time in China I have started this blog. I am going to be living in Beijing, China for two months. During these two months I will be taking a class a month before the Olympics then I will be assisting with reporting during the 2008 games.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

August 4th in China, Practice Road Cycling Race!!



We got up early and loaded on the buses at 5:30 am. I made it to the start point where I first grabbed some breakfast and then completed some tasks before our mock cycling race. The other volunteers and I got all our work dome before we opened the media workroom at 8. The mock race start time was 11. So from 8 to 11 we answered questions and helped the other volunteers as they role-played that they were journalists. We had to make sure that everything would run smoothly when the real journalists needed help on the 9th. I was allowed to go get some lunch at around 10:30 and then I had to get ready to lead the journalists to the media shuttle. I waited in front of the media tent and had them all meet there around the start of the race. I was able to see the racers who were going to be riding the course that day as they took off.

After the race started we headed to the media transfer buses that were the only way of transportation to get the journalists to the finish point. Once I arrived at the finish point I was allowed to switch roles with a few other volunteers and I was then playing the part of a journalist. I was able to watch some of the race, enjoy some cookies and coffee in the media lounge, as well as watch an episode of the office on my computer. After the race had been going on for a little while I was able to get into one of the press vans that followed the racers and I was able to see the race take place as well as the full course. The course had to be a killer on the racers, it was so steep and curvy!
After the race had finished I was able to sit in the press conference room and attend the false press conference. I told you we did everything as if it were the real thing. haha, We left nothing out.
After the false race we were allowed to get on the shuttles and head back to Beijing. I was a little lazy that night and pretty much just ate and showered and then got to bed. I had to train and work again the next day.

No comments: